When it’s time to get your house ready to sell, stress can go off the…
As a real estate agent you’ve probably had reason to recommend home staging to a client—but did you know, realtors, home staging is your secret brand builder, too?
Real estate is a highly competitive industry, and one where it’s essential that you stand out. One subtle challenge many realtors encounter is that, in addition to being a “product” yourself, people also associate you with another product: your clients’ listings.
Each time you list a home, your brand has an opportunity to get a boost (or a ding!), by association. Every set of online listing photos, the houses that feature your realtor sign, even the results shared by property owners to their family, friends and neighbors—all of these become part of your long-term branding.
Online listing photos can make your brand look like a star.
Even before the first buyer walks in, online listing photos are setting expectations… And your name is right up front with those photos. Which would you like your name associated with, the Before… or After?
Buyers form their first impressions within 15 seconds. And that’s true whether they’re seeing photos online, or opening the front door. Home staging ensures buyers’ first reactions are WOW! And the more your name is associated with magazine-worthy images like these, the more attractive your brand becomes.
Staged homes sell faster, for more
Home staging isn’t just about how you set up the furniture. The reason staging is so effective is that it is designed to help buyers imagine themselves in the home. It helps them imagine its true potential:
- According to the National Association of Realtors® 81% of buyers find it easier when a home is staged.
- Staging creates an emotional connection that encourages buyers to make offers based on the true potential value of the home to them—and often results in multiple offers.
Among the top responsibilities you have as a real estate agent is helping your clients get the most for their home. It’s one reason that realtors work with their sellers to develop to-do lists for getting their home ready to go to market. It’s also why so many include a home staging consultation as part of their marketing package.
When you have a track record for your clients’ homes selling faster, and for more, than comparable listings, that’s a brand-and-business-building success!
Clients sing your praises (and your clients’ neighbors want what they got!)
From drool-worthy staged rooms and photos, to jaw-dropping multiple offer scenarios, your clients and their neighbors have their eye on the “product” you helped make possible. Including home stagers on your team that can deliver an impressive ROI is a win for your clients, and for you. Add to that the stellar service you undoubtedly offer, and the negotiation talent you demonstrate every deal, and you’ve got the makings of a killer brand.
Put it to work for you, Realtors: home staging do’s and don’ts
- DO schedule a home consultation for your client BEFORE you list. (Ideally even before you finalize a commission rate, especially if you plan to cover all or part of the staging cost). It may also help to know that in some instances the ROI for the client is better when home stagers can bring in their own supplies, and aren’t limited by existing furniture and decor.
- DO allow several weeks for improvements to be made. Paint is among the most common changes needed, and that takes a little time.
- DON’T schedule photos until after the home is staged, and DON’T DIY the photos. DO hire a professional, and DO schedule the shoot right away so the home looks its best.
- Know the stats so you can coach your client well. Occupied home staging has a Return on Investment of 5-15%; on vacant homes that’s as much as 586%. And on average they sell for 20% more than non-staged homes.
- Stage first, list second. Staged homes sell 90% faster than non-staged homes—so if getting the best offers in the most timely way matters, don’t delay.
Realtors, home staging can truly be your secret brand builder. And we love to partner with agents to ensure they, as well as their clients’ homes, look top notch. (Allow us one small brag: we’re proud to report that 90% of our homes have sold at or above list price, and in less than 14 days.) If we can help you, please just give us a call!